thank goodness for microwaves!


After hosting a "girls' night" for one of my student staffs a couple of weeks back, I hosted a staff meal for my other student staff tonight. But where my girls wanted to do something low-key and simple (i.e. cookies, milk and hot beverages), my guys said that dinner sounded preferable.

Now keep in mind - tonight's meal was happening at 8:45 pm.  But, being college guys, the idea of a home-cooked meal was not something they were going to pass up for options like a dessert bar or "snacks."  So I had to think a little bit about what I could make, because I knew I'd have another meeting right before the staff gathered for the meal.

"A-ha!", I thought.  I'll get frozen meatballs and toss them in the crockpot smothered in barbeque sauce; then I'll make some cheese biscuits, prepare a salad and bake some brownies ahead of time.  Perfect. And tonight, everything was going according to plan.  Until I got home from my meeting just minutes ahead of the guys arriving at my apartment, to realize that the meatballs that I thought would cook through in an hour were still frozen.  Eeeek!

Thankfully, I was able to spoon the sauce-covered meatballs into a bowl and heat them up nicely in the microwave.  In fact, I don't know that my guys would have known the difference had the crockpot not been sitting on the counter.  The meatballs still tasted delicious, and the meal as a whole turned out well.

Phew.  As much as I like being able to cook, using the microwave sure is helpful!

Where I am: home
What I'm reading: Entertainment Weekly magazine

Comments

Popular Posts