"a century of cherry blossoms"

I feel like I'm mentioning lots of anniversaries this past week...but after reading an article in Sunday's paper noting that today is the centennial commemoration of the first cherry blossom trees being planted in Washington, DC, I couldn't let the day go unmentioned. I don't often make it to DC in the springtime to see the cherry blossoms, but when I'm there, I'm in awe.

How neat that there's an entire festival to celebrate this beautiful "forest" of trees found throughout the Mall area, some of which are apparently the original trees sent from Japan in the early 1900's. What a lovely legacy for the longstanding (if not always happy) relationship between the two countries!

Where I am: home
What I'm reading: Map of Bones by James Rollins

(photo from a trip to DC in March 2009)

Comments

Popular Posts