lime with a splash of strawberry

When I first saw the recipe for lime pound cake with strawberry sauce in the May/June issue of Semi-Homemade, I thought, "hmm - lime and strawberry? That looks interesting." But I couldn't quite imagine what the two would taste like together.


Then I baked the cake. Which made my apartment smell like tangy lime freshness. Mmmm.

And then I made the strawberry sauce. Which added a delightful fruity sweetness to the tangy lime freshness in the air around my kitchen. Double mmmm.


"But," I can hear you asking, "never mind how they smelled together. How did they taste together?"


Mmmm. Together, they tasted like the perfect mid-summer treat!

Ingredients
2 16-oz. boxes, pound cake mix
1 1/3 cups, whole milk
1/2 cup, softened butter
4 large eggs
1 teaspoon, lime zest
1 tablespoon, lime juice *

Instructions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly spray a tube pan with nonstick baking spray.

2. In a large (large) bowl, combine cake mix, milk, butter and eggs. Beat at low speed with an electric mixer for 30 seconds. Increase speed to medium and beat for an additional two minutes, stopping to scrape bowl as needed (since batter will be thick).

3. Stir in lime zest and lime juice. Spoon batter into pan, and bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes (or until a wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean).

4. Cool in pan for 10 minutes. remove from pan and cool completely on a wire rack.

5. Prepare Strawberry Sauce. (In a food processor, process 1 1/2 cups fresh, hulled strawberries, 1/3 cup sugar and 2 teaspoons lime zest or lime juice until smooth.)

6. Serve slices of cake with strawberry sauce (either drizzled on top or on the side) and ENJOY!!

Where I am: home
What I'm reading: Under the Tuscan Sun by Frances Mayes

* A special note (as I revel in this particular moment of domesticity) - I typically use bottled lime juice for baking and cooking, but since I had the fresh limes for zesting, I decided to use fresh lime juice, too. I am pretty sure it doesn't change the flavor one bit...but the emotional satisfaction of squeezing my own lime juice was too joyful not to mention.

Comments

Popular Posts