entering uncharted territory


"You're off the edge of the map, mate. Here there be monsters."

That pretty much sums up how I feel right now. Only in this case, there's just one monster. He's two and a half. And truthfully, he may not be very monstrous at all. Except that he's the son of Security Guy. Which makes him scary to me. Because I've never dated a guy with a child.

So yes - I'm really happy that he wanted me to know about his son. Because in our conversation tonight, when he was sharing this information with me, there were indications that he'd postponed it as long as he had because he was worried about how I'd react. In other words, he likes me enough that he was uneasy about the possibility of me bolting at the news of his son. Which I thought was sweet and endearing.

But I'm also nervous. Because, as I told him very honestly tonight when he asked what I thought about this, "I don't know what this looks like. I don't know how this works." All I know is that it does change the dynamic between us. It means our relationship isn't about just me and him. It's about me, him and his son.

So when he asked, "do you think you can date a guy with a kid?", and I answered, "I'd like to try," I hope he understood that I do like him...that him having a son doesn't change how I feel about him as a person...but that, at the same time, this is a new, slightly unnerving circumstance for me. One that I have zero experience navigating, and one that I will need his help finding my way through if it's going to work.

Of course, any advice from the masses would also be welcome.

Where I am: home
What I'm reading: just finished Book One of Dean Koontz's Frankenstein

(quote from Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl)

Comments

Popular Posts