"and i'm feeling good"




"It's a new dawn, it's a new day,
it's a new life for me, and I'm feeling good."

As well as things have been going with me and Security Guy, I admit that I've been interested to see how he's handled the irregular and sometimes-demanding schedule that my work requires...such as the on-call weeks that limit my ability to be too far away from campus. And thus far, he's taken it all in stride. However, I knew that this coming week, in particular, would be a benchmark above all others...because this week? Is staff training. During which each day will start as early as 8 am and end as late as 10 or 11 pm. During which I won't have the opportunity to see him. At all.

As I was explaining all of this to him today, he responded with, "Well, that's okay, as long as your phone still works." Which was so sweet of him to say. Yet I still wondered how okay he really was with the fact that, by the time staff training has ended, it will have been more than a week since we've seen each other...because I could definitely hear the disappointment in his voice. But then, later this afternoon, I received this text from him:

"I really love your dedication to what you do. That is awesome. I want you to know that it does not bother me at all...I really hope everything goes great for you this week with work! I really believe that you will have a phenomenal week because you seem to really enjoy what you do."

Oh my goodness. He gets it. He sees beyond the busy schedule...beyond the practical obligations of my job...to the passion and enthusiasm I have for my work. To read that - to have him cheering me on with his words of encouragement - really touched my heart. It made me feel good - about my work, about myself - but most of all, it made me feel good about us.

Where I am: home
What I'm reading: staff training materials

(lyrics from "Feeling Good" by Nina Simone)

Comments

Popular Posts