yes, you read that right...


I have a date! Here's what happened...

With my favorite partner in crime visiting this past weekend, a Saturday night out was definitely in order. Shannon and I decided to go to this club that I'd heard about, but not had a chance to visit...and it actually turned out to be a pretty cool place. The clientele was an odd mix, and there wasn't much of a dress code - but the music was mostly good, there was an awesome little stage to dance on, and oh yeah - the bouncers were not only very good-looking but also friendly. Which led to me and Shannon sharing a fair amount of laughs and conversation with a few of them over the course of the night.

Then 1:30 came...which is when the bouncers (security?) are allowed to relax a little and join in the fun on the dance floor. So we're dancing with them, continuing to have fun...and then it's the end of the night and the DJ slows things down with a slow dance. One of the bouncers immediately pulled Shannon into a close dance; and about a minute later, another looked at me and asked if I'd like to dance. And honestly? At first, I thought he was just being polite, because he was the one guy in the group I'd interacted with the least...then, as the second slow song played, and the third, and the fourth, we were dancing closer and closer...talking a little bit...and I started to realize that his request had less to do with manners and more to do with attraction.

Once the music ended, Shannon and I continued hanging out for a few minutes, talking with the bouncers (and the owner) some more, and Security Guy (as he will henceforth be known) asked if we'd be back the following weekend. I admit, I brushed it off - because Shannon was only in town for the weekend, and going to a club on my own didn't seem like a wise option. Then, as we were standing outside the club for a few more minutes of conversation, he asked me again if I'd be back the following weekend. From there, the conversation looked something like this:

me - "By myself? Then I'd have to walk to my car alone at the end of the night."
him (in this tone of concern and affection) - "I'd walk you to your car."
me - "But how will I know you're working?"
him - "Well, I work every weekend. Or I could call you to let you know I'm working?"
me (realizing where this is going) - "Yes, you could."
him - "really?"
me - "yes"

He pulled out his phone, we exchanged numbers, and then we shook hands goodnight (which he ended by kissing my hand). But even though I was a bit excited about what had just happened...even though Shannon and I were both a lot giddy on the drive home about how fun our night was...I expected him not to call. Or if he did, I expected it to be later this week, to ask if he'd be seeing me at the club one night.

What I definitely did not expect? Was to hear from Security Guy on Sunday afternoon, just more than twelve hours after I saw him. Or to enjoy the short text and phone conversation we had as much as I did. Or to be asked on a date.

And it's odd. Because if I think about the situation, we talked for maybe twenty minutes on Saturday night...talked for about fifteen minutes on Sunday afternoon...and that seems like a really short span of time in which to decide you are interested enough in someone else to accept a date. Yet I felt comfortable enough talking with him in those two short conversations to say yes. Our conversations (especially on Sunday) felt genuine enough that I think we could get along really well.

So we'll see what happens.

Where I am: home
What I'm reading: materials for an online judicial affairs course

Comments

Popular Posts