first date #5: trying something different




Wow. That's really the best way to describe my first date with Security Guy yesterday. But I know there are those who would like a bit more detail, so here goes. He picked me up at about 6:15 to go to dinner. Now I have to admit that I was pretty nervous before he arrived...like butterflies in my stomach nervous...but as soon as he was here, I was fine...completely comfortable around him. Dinner was at a local Mexican restaurant with good food and good conversation...just what you hope for on a first date.

Now, earlier in the week, he had already asked what I wanted to do after dinner - which I thought was pretty confident on his part, because that was making a big assumption that we'd want to keep hanging out after dinner - but we'd left it open. So when we finished at the restaurant, he asked what I'd like to do next, and I suggested going to a local park to find swings (which had come up as a fond memory for both of us during dinner). And it was awesome! It was a beautiful evening and really nice to be outside. So we played on the swings for a little bit, then went for a walk by the lake before finding a bench where we could sit and talk.

We ended up being there for about an hour and a half...talking, enjoying the scenery, laughing at the ducks' antics...and it was wonderful. Just sitting together. Again - a feeling of ease and comfort being around him...being myself (sarcasm and humor and wit included) around him. Then it started getting dark (and buggy) so we decided to go back to my apartment, watch a movie and drink the bottle of wine he'd brought. Now, I know some people might be thinking, "Really? He brought wine? That's a bit questionable/odd/strange." But after living overseas for a few years, he has a small wine collection and we'd talked about him bringing a bottle - so it wasn't a surprise.

Anyways...it was almost ten o'clock by the time we started watching "The Green Mile." Which is not a short movie. But you know what? I'm definitely not complaining about how much time he spent here. It was...quite enjoyable, even if we did miss pieces of the movie. And to quote Forrest Gump, "That's all I have to say about that."

Then the movie ended (and we realized how late it was!), so I walked him to his car, we kissed goodnight, and he drove away. Seven hours after he arrived. Seven. Hours. I say it again - wow.

Because here's the thing...I don't know who's doing it, but I swear that someone is feeding Security Guy information about me to use to his advantage. I don't know how else to explain our rapidly-growing list of common interests. By some fluke, I've met this guy who isn't the type of guy (looks-wise) I'd normally be attracted to...and yet the more I learn about him, the more I like him. I have a level of comfort around him that I'm not used to feeling around a guy this early in the dating process. And even though I still keep wondering what the catch is going to be, I'm really enjoying this.

So when he asked me this afternoon if I'd like to go on a second date on Sunday? I said yes without a moment's hesitation.

Where I am: home
What I'm reading: Relentless by Dean Koontz

Comments

Popular Posts