settling in...or, the renewals stop here




Two years ago this week, I had big plans...plans that meant officially settling in to the place I'd been living for about a year...plans that involved getting a driver's license and license plate in the state I thought I'd be calling home for at least a few more years...plans that were completely derailed the day I was let go from the job I'd specifically moved to Pennsylvania to keep. Knowing I wouldn't be staying there, and not knowing where I would end up, I decided to just renew my Texas registration.

One year ago, I had absolutely no plans...no idea where I might end up...no idea what state I'd be moving to once my job search was completed. So once again, I decided to just renew my Texas registration.

This week, the renewals came to an end. Friday, I became the holder of a Kentucky driver's license...and today, my truck became the bearer of a Kentucky license plate. Part of me cringed as all this happened, because it's one more reminder that yes, I have actually chosen to live in Kentucky, of all places. But there's a bigger part of me that is happy - relieved, even - to have relinquished the Texas plates and license. Because it means that I finally am in a place that feels like a home...that feels like a long-term investment, both professionally and personally. That's a comforting feeling to have.

Where I am: home
What I'm reading: last week's issue of The Chronicle

Comments

Popular Posts