the next best thing


During my first year in Kentucky, I was commonly asked by the people I worked with why I wasn't interested in staying there. Since explaining the many deep-rooted reasons would have been difficult, with an added risk of potentially offending those same people, my typical joking response was, "well, there's no ocean here."

So imagine their surprise when I accepted a position at a college only ninety minutes away...a college nestled on the edge of the Appalachian hills. There were (and continue to be) those who comment, "but there's no ocean." They're right. There's not. Here, I don't get to walk on the beach...smell the salt water...hear the soothing lull of the waves. And it is difficult to miss that as much as I do.

In the meantime, though, I have this:



Here, I get to walk in the woods...feel the cool breeze...listen to the soothing sounds of chirping birds and rustling leaves. When I need calm and peace, I can go there and feel better. But, no matter how much I enjoy the woods, it will never be the beach. Especially when there's a chance of finding this there.



Because relaxing in the woods with a good book on a sunny afternoon is much, much harder with the thought of a snake lurking somewhere unseen.

Where I am: home
What I'm reading: One Perfect Day by Lauraine Snelling

Comments

Popular Posts