my first attempt at cheesecake...the easy version


I've wanted to try my hand at baking a cheesecake for a long time...but have never been ready for it. First, I've never gotten around to buying a springform pan, which is what the majority of authentic cheesecake recipes call for. Second, the idea of baking a cheesecake seems daunting, especially because I'm such a perfectionist. I've read too many "baking tips" talking about getting the cheesecake to set properly, preventing it from cracking, and so on.

Well, earlier this year, I found a recipe in a magazine that sounded pretty easy and used a pre-made graham cracker crust. So when I needed to make a dessert for a staff dinner this past week, I pulled it out and decided to give it a try.



Oh my goodness! It was so easy and so delicious...not a standard cheesecake, per se, but the taste and texture are so close to that of a traditional cheesecake that I'd certainly use it again. Unfortunately, I forgot to take a picture of the final product.

But if you'd like to taste for yourself...

(ingredients)
1 aforementioned pre-made graham cracker pie crust
2/3 cup sugar, & 3 tbsp. sugar
dash of salt
2 eggs
16 oz. cream cheese
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract, & 1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup sour cream

(filling)
* Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

* Beat eggs. Combine eggs with cream cheese, 2/3 cup sugar, salt and 1/2 tsp. vanilla. Beat with an electric mixer at medium speed for 5 minutes.

* Pour into crust, and bake for 25 minutes.

* Cool for 30 minutes, then add topping.

(topping)
* Mix sour cream, 3 tbsp. sugar and 1 tsp. vanilla. Spread evenly on filling.

* Bake for 10 minutes.

* Cool to room temperature, then place in fridge.

Serve chilled.

Where I am: home
What I'm reading: The Stolen Child by Keith Donohue

Comments

Adrianne said…
this is almost the same as the recipe my mother uses. she usually adds a topping. I am not a fan of cooked cherries, so we always used raspberries. try a topping of red currant jelly and frozen raspberries, warmed. I could send you a recipe.

Popular Posts