first date #4: a new approach


So I've been mentioning this person known as Cute Guy in recent weeks...but not saying a whole lot. Mainly because I've been trying very hard to be mature and sensible and reasonable about being introduced to him last month...about hanging out with him and his friends at his house a couple of times since then...even about having the opportunity to chat with him alone a couple weeks back. And because I've been trying very hard not to get overly giddy or silly about the comments and observations various people have shared and made...like the coworker who told me he has a crush on me...like the mutual friend who said that he's definitely interested. But honestly? There has been a part of me all along that is interested enough in this guy - that liked what I've heard about him enough - that I did start to get my hopes up.

At the same time, I've also been enjoying what (for me) has been a new approach in dating - the idea of getting to know a guy a bit...of spending time together in a casual setting...of not rushing into anything. However, I'll admit - that part of me that was getting my hopes up? Was also wondering when I'd get to sense more about how he felt from him, instead of from all the people around us.

Thankfully, that moment of clarity finally happened yesterday. I finally felt - very specifically and unmistakably - like I could look at the situation and say, "yes - I can tell from his actions that Cute Guy is interested." We had spent time hanging out in a small group of friends at a campus activity yesterday...then, later in the day, he not only invited me to come over tonight for another television night...but also to have coffee with him beforehand. Just the two of us. Um, yes!

So we had coffee tonight. Or rather, he had coffee and I had hot chocolate. And it was wonderful. We sat at the coffeehouse for over an hour, talking about anything and everything - work, family, life - and the whole time, all I could think was how much I was enjoying our conversation...how much I liked his company...how comfortable I felt talking with him. Even later, at his house with other people around, something felt different...I felt more at ease around him, more comfortable talking directly to him, and yes - more attracted to him. It was just a good vibe, right down to the short chat we had when he walked me to my truck at the end of the night. We talked about our holiday plans, when we'd each be back in town...and even though there was no goodnight kiss or goodnight hug, I drove away with a big smile on my face, already looking forward to talking with and seeing him again.

It's a different approach...one that I'm still learning and understanding as I go...and yet it feels right...natural...appropriate. Because there's still a lot for me to learn about him...still a lot for him to learn about me (!)...so it's nice to move slowly for once, and let that familiarity and interest build bit by bit...to be excited about the possibility, yet capable of being patient and letting the situation unfold in its own time. It's a good feeling.

Where I am: home
What I'm reading: Blood Brothers, and The Beach House

Comments

Anonymous said…
YAY for cute new guys!

Happy Thanksgiving, Colleen :)
The Rube said…
Sounds like a very mature approach towards relationships. No way I could pull that off. Good luck with this guy. If he tries to pull any shenanigans you let me know...
OH Joneses said…
I hope there's an update for this weekend! I'm giddy if you're not ;)

Popular Posts