speaking theoretically

Say a girl meets a guy while she’s on vacation. He knows she’s from out of town, but asks for her number anyway. Girl and guy proceed to exchange text messages and talk on the phone over the next four days; and discover they have a nice little connection there. Now if I were to find myself in this situation, I would have two questions.

First, since he knows she’s from out of town, why would he ask for her number in the first place? Because if the girl were me, I definitely would not have offered my number. So if he’s asking, it’s because he wanted to, right? But why would he want to?

Second, since they do live in different states, would it be wrong of the girl to enjoy the emotional contentment that comes from interacting in a positive way with this guy, knowing the potential for anything long-term is pretty slim? What if it makes the girl happy in a pure, simple way to feel appreciated…to feel like this guy is making an impressive effort to stay in touch…to feel confident enough in herself that her interactions with this guy are more genuine and honest than with other guys in the past. Would it be too selfish to want that enough that future outcomes didn’t really matter? Because if the girl were me, and I was having conversations in which I could be my witty, smartass, goofy self, I think the reality of the situation would be kind of easy to overlook.

Not that I’m in a situation like this at all. Not me. There’s absolutely no chance that I met a pretty cool guy at The Hardware Bar in Harrisburg (Pennsylvania!) on Saturday night and have been talking with him ever since. Nope. Not me. This is all purely theoretical.

Where I am: Silver Spring, MD
What I’m reading: The Faith Club

Comments

My first serious relationship started long-distance.

If that connection is there, I say, go for it :)

Popular Posts