the next step in job searching: meeting the "family"

If job searching really is like dating, then my campus interview tomorrow represents that moment in a relationship when you know things are getting serious - meeting the family. Eeek!

Obviously, there's an attraction. They liked my resume enough and were apparently impressed enough with my phone interview last week that they've decided to find out how I fit into their campus family. But - just like a girl going home to meet a guy's parents - I'm definitely nervous. Because I'll be meeting everyone from the elder patriarch of the family (a vice president of the university) to the doting mom (the director of the office in which I'd be working) to the friendly teenage cousin (the undergraduate intern I'd be supervising) in a mixture of casual (lunch) to formal (office) settings...all in the course of about six hours.

Naturally, I worry. Will I make the right impression? Will I answer questions smartly and coherently? Will I meet their expectations? Will I be a good match? I tell myself to breathe deeply...to be myself...to remember that if anyone can answer questions about me, it's me. I still, though, feel a bit like the girl who says, "Of all the girls he could have picked, I don't know why he picked me." Because this position wouldn't be a perfect match of experience and expectations...there were definitely some questions in my phone interview that I stumbled through...and yet they still have invited me to campus. I realize that's a good sign, but it doesn't make the nerves go away.

Sigh. One part of me is excited to be taking this next step...the other part of me just can't wait for it to be over.

Where I am: Lebanon, KY
What I'm reading: Summer Light by Luanne Rice

Comments

You're gonna do awesome, Colleen :)

*Sending good vibes your way*

If only I could start getting some dates...er...interviews.

My phone isn't ringing off the hook for either, and quite frankly, it's depressing.

Popular Posts