no creative end in sight



About a month and a half ago, a friend of mine co-hosted a three-day scrapbooking retreat in Cincinatti. And it was amazing. Because one of the hardest parts about scrapbooking is setting aside time for it - to lay everything out, to get in the creative groove, to make progress on the inevitable to-do list. So to have three days set aside just for that...leaving my stuff out on my work table...spending as much time scrapbooking as I wanted to...with no distractions other than the great stuff everyone else was working on...was so cool. I definitely felt the creative energy flowing strongly - there's no other way to explain the focus and efficiency that enabled me to start playing on Saturday (the second day) at nine in the morning and keep going until about two-thirty the next morning! I accomplished so much, and had a wonderful time hanging out with my friend and other scrapbookers.

Unfortunately, I can't seem to turn that creative energy off, or even dial it down. Now I realize I shouldn't be complaining about this, because there are definitely times when no matter how hard I dig for it, it just isn't there. And it was helpful to be riding this creative high, if you will, while I was working on various projects for my friend's wedding a couple of weeks back. But here's the thing...all this creativity floating around in my brain is making it very difficult to focus on other things. So I find myself in the curious situation of trying to balance satisfying my creative impulses and getting things like oh, work done. This should be an interesting process.

Where I am: Lebanon, KY
What I'm reading: Imperfect Lives, edited by Tara Governo

Comments

Popular Posts