"everything will be okay in the end..."

"Everything will be okay in the end.
If it's not okay, it's not the end."
(author unknown)

Seeing this quote on a card at Joseph Beth on Saturday was one more little piece of a philosophical conversation I’ve been floating in my mind for the past few weeks, all revolving around the concept of synchronicity…the idea of independent events on the same concept or theme coming together in a series of circumstances.

Some people may consider synchronicity a mere coincidence. Others may use the term “fate.” For me, synchronicity is an indication of a godly presence at work in my life…because it seems unfathomable for all the details that go into bringing about a particular sequence of events to line up just so without some kind of divine plan at work. I mean, I’m a pretty good planner, and not even I could come up with the timelines that surely must be involved for certain things to happen at just the right time.

It started about two weeks ago, when I sent an email to friends updating them on my job situation. As I wrote it, I had this sarcastic voice in my mind saying, “I don’t know what purpose is being served by me working on a goat farm…but I’m going to trust that it’s all going to make sense at some point.”

The next day, a friend sent this message in response:

“I pray that you are not becoming discouraged. I’m sure you feel a flux of emotions about being in KY, wanting to be in NC, and wanting a more ‘permanent’ job position. Your opportunity will come, I know it. Maybe it’s not where you want to be or what you want to be, but it will come.”

A few days after that, I came across this Bible verse in my daily devotional:

“Trust in the Lord with all your heart;
do not depend on your own understanding.
Seek his will in all you do, and he will direct your paths.”
(Proverbs 3:5-6)

For me, the combination of all this felt like a big knock upside the head saying, “look…no, life doesn’t make sense right now…but it will, in time. Just have faith that everything is happening for a reason.”

Now is it possible I’m simply more open to that message right now, because of what’s been on my mind? Well, sure. But then…how would I explain the message being there for me to be open to? That’s what makes the idea of synchronicity so intriguing to me…the question of how it all works. Because it’s happened enough in my life for me to trust it when it happens…and every time, I’m quite simply amazed at the results.

Where I am: Lebanon, KY
What I’m reading: The Lady and the Panda

Comments

Popular Posts