thank goodness for false alarms and second opinions

Today was supposed to be the day Mom and I painted the dining room. Today was supposed to be the day I shared a funny story about one of my cats who is fast becoming autophobic. Today was supposed to be the day I got a lot of other stuff done.

Instead, today was the day we almost had to put down one of the other cats. About six months ago, our long-time vet had diagnosed my sweet kitty with diabetes, but because he's an older cat and because the vet was estimating treatment costs in the thousands of dollars, Mom and Dad elected to see how things went. When he started using the entire house as his litter box in recent weeks, we were concerned that his diabetes was getting worse, and it finally became too much this morning. So Mom made an appointment with a local vet, and the three of us took him over...fully expecting that the vet would tell us his health was deteriorating so badly that putting him to sleep was the best option.

Thank goodness for second opinions! After looking at the records our regular vet sent over, this vet did some tests of her own and came to a different, less severe diagnosis. A diagnosis that's treatable with antibiotics. Most importantly, a diagnosis that meant we got to bring him home with us. So all of the choked-back tears and the worry of not having my favorite cat around...were thankfully for naught. The worst result was the emotional funk that lingered for the rest of the afternoon. So if you heard a big sigh of relief this afternoon, that was me. Happy to have my cat home, and thankful for concerned, cautious vets.

Where I am: Lebanon, KY
What I'm reading:an autobiography of the Dalai Lama

Comments

Anonymous said…
I totally understand! We just put our 18-year-old Satin cat down last Sunday and it was heart-wrenching. Yay for your mini-miracle!

Popular Posts