"oh my god! i'm dating again? dating?"*

First dates are always a little scary. But the idea of a first "first date"...that first jump back into the dating scene...is terrifying me. And for good reason. I mean, it's only been almost seven years since my last "first date". And back then, I was a twenty-one year-old college student living it up and totally clueless when it came to what makes a relationship work. Now I'm a twenty-eight year-old professional who (usually) acts like an adult, with more experience than I wish I had with the ups and downs of romantic relationships.

Don't get me wrong...I know that the basic rules of dating still apply, no matter what the situation. I know not to put too much stock in a first date, to be myself, and to not rush into anything. It's just that I generally don't do well at reading a guy anyways...you know, picking up on those signals that indicate whether he's into me or not into me...because I'm a natural flirt, so when a guy flirts back, I have no clue whether it's just part of his personality or a sign of his interest in me. And on top of that, I'm hopelessly old-fashioned...so I expect that a guy will take the lead when it comes to things like asking for a date, whether it be the first, the second or the twenty-second.

Am I overreacting? Probably. I'm just trying so hard not to make this first "first date" a bigger deal than it really is. Because I want to go to dinner with this guy tomorrow night and just enjoy myself. But there's that small part of me that worries I'm going to say or do something stupid, something that makes it painfully obvious that I'm just starting over in the dating scene after being away from it for what feels like so long. Sigh. I don't think I like being single anymore.

Where I am: Home
What I'm reading: The Motorcycle Diaries by Ernesto "Che" Guevara, and The Snow Leopard by Peter Mathiessen

* - from "Must Love Dogs", a movie which has entirely too much truth in it to be a plain ol' romantic comedy

Comments

I loved that movie - and I agree.

So what about the details?!

I'm ready to start dating again, too, but my problem is, I don't have enough time!

Ugh.

Popular Posts