reality sinking in

So I've known now for almost two months that I'm moving...and I'm slowly making progress toward being ready. Boxes have been packed with stuff...my books, my glassware, my winter clothes...all those things I could live without for the weeks until I move. Closets and drawers have been sorted through for the donation pile, which seems to grow every day. The moving van and men have been reserved, and I've given notice to the apartment management.

But I don't think the idea of moving really clicked until the past few days, while I was up in Pennsylvania looking for a place to live. Then, just like that, something shifted in my mind...and I find myself in that in-between place, that transition point, that pause that happens when you're preparing for a big change. I noticed it most when my plane landed in Houston yesterday evening. It didn't feel like I was coming home...rather, I was just coming back to the place where I'll be living for a couple more weeks...my pit stop, if you will. It's an odd feeling to look ahead and realize that I have only eleven days left in Texas - only eleven days, and yet so much to fit into those days, both personally and practically.

At the same time, I'm pretty excited about moving. I found a cute little townhouse to move into, that for some reason makes me feel very grown-up.



Perhaps it's because it's not an apartment...or because it's in a neighborhood, not a managed property...or because I'll need to buy appliances and some bits of furniture...or because I'll finally have a guest room. Or maybe it's just because this is the first time I've ever chosen a spot to live all by myself. Even better, on Saturday I found good places around town...those stores that will make my new town feel more like home. The scrapbook store, the used bookstore, the bakery, the restaurant...places I'm already looking forward to patronizing. Yet finding them made me feel even more unsettled...because I will miss the wonderful people and stores I know in Texas. I just can't stand that feeling of "lasts"...last time to go somewhere, last time to do something, last time to see somebody.

Eleven more days...it seems like plenty, and yet it will fly by.

Where I am: Texas
What I'm reading: Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See

Comments

Anonymous said…
Congrats on the new place--it looks adorable :-)

Popular Posts