money well spent

or "why Bay Area Movers totally rocks"

I'm very much a do-it-yourselfer...there's something very satisfying in being able to fix things or solve problems or learn something on my own. This includes being a do-it-yourself mover - renting a moving van, packing up the boxes, and loading everything up with just me and a couple of friends or family to help.

Until now.

As I've mentioned, this week I am making the big move to Pennsylvania. And in some ways, I'm doing it how I always have...I rented a moving van, have spent the past few weeks packing everything I own (which is a lot!) into boxes and bags and will be driving the van up myself. Thankfully, my mom offered to fly down and help me with the drive to Kentucky, where we'll pick up my dad and continue the drive to Pennsylvania...but that still left us with getting all the furniture and boxes into the van. (Did I mention that I have a lot of stuff?) Oh, and it's July in Texas...which translates into "hot as hell, and a little more humid".

So we decided to hire a moving crew to help us load everything into the van. I was a little nervous at first, because what if they didn't know what they were doing, or didn't pack everything into the van as efficiently as I would have so that things didn't fit, or were just plain difficult to work with?! Because I'm a control freak like that. But within the first fifteen minutes of the crew being here, we realized this was one of the best decisions we could have made! For a very reasonable rate, we got a crew of three guys who were professional, efficient and pleasant...and best of all, saved us hours and hours of heaving boxes and carting furniture. They were so worth every dollar. In just under three hours, they loaded everything - furniture, boxes, etc. (all that stuff) - into the van, and it's so well-packed that we'll have no problem putting in the things we're picking up in Kentucky with Dad.

That money was so well spent! It saved me and Mom time and energy, and helped us avoid feeling wiped out right before our long drive. Totally awesome...

Time left in Texas: ten hours

Comments

Anonymous said…
And for your next move, you shall hire someone to actually drive your stuff so you can travel leisurely the whole way! (And stop at Sonics along the way without worrying about the trailer not fitting under their awning.) Heh! I'm glad it went smoothly! Travel safe!
I second the travel safe.

Enjoy the trip to PA and setting up your new home :)
The Rube said…
I hope the move is going well! And just in case you think I forgot (which I did), when you send out your new address you'll be getting a nice fatty check for the LK tickets and a book you lent me a while ago :)

Popular Posts