movie ramblings

So for the past couple of years, my friend Josh has been trying to convince me and two mutual friends that we should really see "Shaun of the Dead". Because, as he put it, "Shaun" was really just a romantic comedy that happened to also have zombies in it. Riiiight. Even after seeing an article in the local paper back around Valentine's Day confirming Josh's theory of this film as a romantic comedy, I was hesitant. But because Josh has humored the three of us in so many ways (watching "Tad Hamilton" and indulging our tastes for mainstream pop music come to mind), I decided that eventually, I needed to watch this movie.

Then, a couple of weeks back, when Josh mailed me a book he thought I'd enjoy (because we're cool and have our own little random unofficial duo of a book club), he included his copy of "Shaun of the Dead." Hmph. I now had zero excuses for not watching this movie...because I'm pretty sure it would have been just a tad rude to not watch it when he was kind enough to send it my way. So I've had it sitting next to the TV, to watch at some point, and decided this afternoon to take a chance and check it out. (The fact that I'm mailing him a package tomorrow was a nice little motivator.)

And surprise of surprises, it's actually kind of cool. It truly is a romantic comedy, in which guy loses girl and must overcome some major obstacle to win her back. This time, the obstacle just happened to be a zombie invasion. Now I could have done without the whole zombies-eating-the-man-alive scene...but minus that, it ended up being a fun movie to watch, with the added bonus of well-written dialogue.

Best line, and one that truly makes this a romantic comedy:


"You don't want to die single, do you?"

Hope I made you proud, Josh...just don't expect me to watch your werewolf movies!

Postscript: I should clarify...I do like werewolf movies in general, and have enjoyed them in the past. As I mentioned to Karen, the movie "Wolf" starring Jack Nicholson stands out as a good one. It's specifically Josh's selection of werewolf movies that I'm hesitant about. Trust me...you'd be hesitant too, if you heard him talk about them.

Where I am: Home
What I'm reading: apartment guides

Comments

Anonymous said…
Shaun of the Dead is fantastic! It's funny and charming and neat. When was the last time you got to see zombie love in a movie. And the humor is so dry and witty. I loved it! It reminded me of the M.Jackson Thriller video. (Because seriously, zombies dancing? in time with the music?) I'm glad you liked it.

And werewolf movies aren't that bad. I mean, you could start small with something cheesy like Teen Wolf and move up to Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (heh). Then further your education with An American Werewolf in London (or the 1935 original Werewolf of London)and the poorly made campy sequal An American Werewolf in Paris. Of course there is the Underworld series and Van Helsing. And you could finish up with My Mom's a Werewolf. I'm sure NONE of these movies are on Josh's list, but it would at least get you acclimated to the werewolf culture or something. Enjoy!
Anonymous said…
I would ditto the Underworld series. My friend Amber and I rented the first one, as a last ditch effort to select a movie -- well, we're here and we'd best leave with *something*! And we were hooked. And then we had to see the second Underworld as soon as it came out.

Van Helsing is entertaining as well. My movie recommendation of the week however is Kiss Kiss Bang Bang. If you like Robert Downey Jr. and Val Kilmer that is.

Popular Posts