I semi-heart New York!

So my three days in Manhattan were pretty good...fairly productive work-wise, and enjoyable. This was my first time in the city since I was like, ten and guided by an adult at all times, and it was a great visit. I would never want to live there, and I don't know that I'll ever fully "heart" New York City...but I liked it and look forward to going back later this year...here are some little tidbits why:

- You can walk or take public transportation just about anywhere in the city. (This is one of the reasons I fully heart Boston, and a big reason I will never heart Houston.) Whether it's to get groceries, go shopping or go bar-hopping, none of it requires a car.

- There are a lot of odd people, all of whom feel comfortable in the city, so the people-watching was fabulous! Among others, there was the girl having a conversation with someone in the middle of a sidewalk who felt compelled to pull her skirt up to show off her upper-thigh tattoo; and then there was the older guy at one of the bars who had a mullet and was wearing his button-down shirt completely unbuttoned. If he'd been good-looking with a semi-decent body, this wouldn't have been so bad..but he wasn't, and he didn't. Shallow of me? Absolutely, but if you'd been there, you would have stared, too! Even worse, he apparently liked his shirt open so that he could randomly and frequently rub his nipples. No, I'm not kidding.

- Contrary to popular rumors about people in New York being rude or unfriendly, I thought the people in the city were great. Okay, so there was one waitress who was really not helpful, but she's forgiven by virtue of working in a sandwich stop with very low prices that's frequented by college students. And a special thank-you to the little old man in the subway station who helped me figure out which side of the train track to pick.

I am also proud to say that I could totally pass myself off as a law student going through the second-year experience of landing a job for the following summer. The brother with whom I stayed is a "2L law student", and so she and all her classmate friends are going through this really extensive interview process for jobs for next summer, which usually result in full-time job placements after their third and final year of classes. So I can tell you all about rejection letters, callbacks, and the reasons people pick or don't pick a particular firm.

All in all, it was a really fun trip, and I am actually looking forward to going back later in the year, as our chapter activation efforts at NYU move forward. But Boston's still the best city around.

Where I am: Home (for a day)
What I'm reading: Rose Madder by Stephen King

Comments

The Rube said…
Proof once again that New York is the best city in the world! I know that's not what you said but I'm sure you were holding back to spare Boston's feelings :)
Anonymous said…
And how jealous am I right now? Oh, I think very! Glad you're having a good time traveling :-)
Ted D. said…
You can talk about resumes and interviews all you want, but based on what I saw last night at EKU, I'm hoping you'll stick around for a while. It's really nice to have someone with a passion for the organization and a good head on her shoulders working on the expansion plan.

Popular Posts