Awkward moment of the day

I'm spending the first few days of this week at a national student affairs conference, where I have the opportunity to see old friends, attend some interesting seminars and catch up on the latest news and info in the student affairs profession. My favorite part is, of course, the catching up with old friends...except when they don't recognize me. Then I just feel dumb.

I got to feel dumb today. I was waiting for a business meeting to start, when a guy who looked extremely familiar walked in and sat down a few rows in front of me. In fact, I was pretty sure it was Teddy Bear, an acquaintance from college (the nickname was something another friend and I gave him because, honestly, he was that adorable!). He graduated a year ahead of me, and we weren't close friends, but we hung out and interacted enough that I remembered him. I mean, he gave me rides around campus on his motorcycle, we went to the same church, we would hang out in the union if we saw each other...that kind of casual friendship. In fact, I even dropped by his apartment one time to pick up something for a conference. Definitely more memorable than just passing each other in the hallways, right?

So I walked up to his row, and started a conversation...sort of. I think Teddy Bear recognized my face to some degree, but not only did I have to tell him my name, but also I had to remind him where we had met. It was very awkward and stilted - you know, the kind of conversation you wish you hadn't started. I can't even imagine what he must have been thinking. Needless to say, I was extremely happy that the meeting started soon after, and headed out as soon as the meeting was adjourned.

It's times like that when I hate my penchant for remembering faces.

Where I am: Tampa, FL

Comments

Popular Posts